Principles about how people should act. They are also standards for what we consider important and just
To decide on a settlement that satisfies all parties or people involved.
Respecting people from varied cultures and backgrounds
What are the 4 principles or pillars of democracy?
Justice - fair treatment of individuals and groups
Equity - individuals and groups have the same opportunities in life
Freedoms - people have the right to think and speak as they wish
Representation - elected representatives act on behalf of citizens
What are the 3 levels of government?
- Local or Municipal Government - elected in cities, towns, villages, reserves and settlements, and other local areas across Canada.
- Provincial Government - located in the capital of the province and elected by the people of the province.
- Federal Government - responsible for matters that concern the WHOLE country. It is located in Ottawa.
A group of people who share the same rules, laws, and government or who share the same interests or culture.
The supreme or most important law of a country or land. It outlines the structure of the government and describes the powers of the government and the rights of the people.
A resident of a particular place, such as a city or town; a person who has certain rights in a country, such as voting.
What are some responsibilities of citizens in a democracy?
- people have a responsibility to vote.
- people have a responsibility to speak out about issues.
- people have a responsibility to pitch in to help others in their community.
- people have a responsibility to inform the government of what they want and need.
- people have a responsibility to make their point of view known.
- people have a responsibility to listen to and try to understand the points of view of others.
A statement that can be proven to be true.
What someone believes. It cannot be proved to be right or wrong.op
A concern or problem that affects a community.
An action that is not fair or a wrong from the past; like Canada's treatment of First Nations people.