Campbell Biology: Biology Genetics Flashcards
- Who is Gregor Mendel?
- Father of Genetics
- Bread Pea Plants to study inheritance
- Why Peas
- Control mating (self- vs. cross-pollination)
- Many varieties available
- Short generation time
- What Does P Stand For?
- Parental Generation
- What Does F1 Stand For?
- First Filial Generation
- What Does F2 Stand For?
Second Filial Generation (Offspring of F1)
- What is an Allele?
- Alternate version of genes
- They cause variations in inherited characteristics among offspring.
- For each characteristic, every organism inherits one allele from each parent.
- Located on same place of Pair of Homologues Chromosomes.
What is a Dominant Allele?
- It is an Expressed Allele