Western Civilization CH 5

Helpfulness: 0
Set Details Share
created 5 years ago by easynotecards33
789 views
Chapter 5
updated 5 years ago by easynotecards33
Subjects:
history
show moreless
Page to share:
Embed this setcancel
COPY
code changes based on your size selection
Size:
X
Show:
1

During the early Roman Republic, Rome:

expanded slowly and extended the Latin right to many of the cities it conquered.

2

Cicero, one of the most famous Stoics of the later republic, believed in all the tenets of Stoicism except:

withdrawal from public life.

3

According to the patria potestas provision of the Twelve Tables, a Roman father:

had absolute power over his family, up to and including the power of life and death.

4

The Romans were the first people to use ___ on a massive scale in their buildings.

concrete

5

Those who ruled Rome from 96 to 180 C.E. were called the “Five Good Emperors” because:

they were capable administrators who governed successfully.

6

Traditional Roman religion included ancestor worship and:

oligarchs who played dual roles as priests and politicians.

7

The Romans were able to support cities with large populations due, in no small measure, to the:

construction of a system of aqueducts to allow a steady supply of potable water to the cities.

8

The geographic site of Rome has many advantages, including:

hills that increase the defensibility of the city.

9

The Latin Right of the early Romans guaranteed that:

contracts, marriages, and citizenship were valid across Latium.

10

One example of how Rome transformed the world into the Roman world would be:

that Roman leaders who originated from everywhere within the empire would settle far from their place of birth.

11

The equestrian order (Roman knights) was established when:

businessmen who did not become senators wanted privileges.

12

The myth of the rape of Lucretia appealed to Roman patriotism by emphasizing:

the corruption of Etruscan morals and government.

13

The division between Roman patricians and plebeians was:

between the wealthiest (2 percent) and the rest (98 percent) of the people.

14

Prior to the establishment of Rome as the dominant state in Italy:

Etruscans, skilled metalworkers and artists, lived there.

15

The Twelve Tables of Law, approved in 450 B.C.E., represent:

the codification of existing laws for all to see and obey.

16

Cultural and intellectual developments in Rome reached their pinnacle during:

the Principate.

17

In the aftermath of the assassination of Julius Caesar, the second triumvirate took out its revenge on everyone opposed to them; one of the more prominent victims of the second triumvirate was:

Cicero.

18

One of the things the Romans borrowed from the Greek settlers in southern Italy was:

the derived Roman alphabet.

19

Once the Romans had effectively gained control of Italy (265 B.C.E.):

they started a series of wars for control of the western Mediterranean

20

Roman law consisted of three branches: civil law, natural law, and:

Law of nations

21

Central to Roman identity was a conservatism expressed in an unwritten code of:

mos maiorum.

22

Prior to Julius Caesar’s appointment as “Dictator for Life,” only one other Roman had been appointed to that position without the traditional six-month term, and he was:

Sulla.

23

After Rome had twice defeated Carthage, a third Punic War:

was provoked by war hawks who thought Carthage must be destroyed.

24

Tiberius Gracchus sought to protect small farmers and protect the pool of citizens from which the army could be drawn by reviving old laws from the republican days that limited the amount of land a person could hold; for this he was:

murdered.

25

The Augustan system of government:

is known as the early empire or Principate, because Octavian ruled as first citizen.