1) A fibrous joint that is a peg-in-socket is called a ________ joint.
2) The cruciate ligaments of the knee ________.
A) tend to run parallel to one another
B) are also called collateral ligaments
C) prevent hyperextension of the knee
D) assist in defining the range of motion of the leg
3) If a patient was suffering from bursitis, this condition would be
designated as inflammation of
A) sesamoid bone found at a joint
B) cavity within a long bone
C) small sac containing fluid
D) articular cartilage
4) An immovable joint found only between skull bones is called a ________.
C) cartilaginous joint
D) synovial joint
6) A joint united by dense fibrocartilaginous tissue that usually
permits a slight degree of
movement is a ________.
7) On the basis of structural classification, which joint is fibrous connective tissue?
8) Connective tissue sacs lined with synovial membranes that act as
cushions in places where
friction develops are called ________.
9) Articulations permitting only slight degrees of movement are ________.
D) synovial joints
10) Which of these joint types affords uniaxial movement?
C) ball and socket
11) ________ are cartilaginous joints.
12) The gliding motion of the wrist is accomplished because of the ________ joint.
14) Bending your head back until it hurts is an example of ________.
18) Fibrous joints are classified as ________.
A) pivot, hinge, and ball and socket
B) symphysis, sacroiliac, and articular
C) hinge, saddle, and ellipsoidal
D) sutures, syndesmoses, and gomphoses
19) In symphysis joints the articular surfaces of the bones are covered with ________.
A) hyaline cartilage
B) synovial membranes
D) tendon sheaths
22) Menisci refer to ________.
A) cavities lined with cartilage
B) small sacs containing synovial fluid
C) semilunar cartilage pads
D) tendon sheaths
24) When one is moving a limb away from the median plane of the body
along the frontal plane, it
is called ________.
28) Compared to the shoulder, displacements of the hip joints are ________.
A) common due to the weight-bearing the hip endures
B) rare because of the ligament reinforcement
C) common in all people who are overweight
D) rare because the rotator cuff stabilizes the hip
34) When a ballerina points the toes, it is known as ________.
B) plantar flexion