A&p ch 6 Flashcards
2) Yellow bone marrow contains a large percentage of ________.
B) blood-forming cells
C) elastic tissue
D) Sharpeyʹs fibers
3) The cell responsible for secreting the matrix of bone is the ________.
4) What kind of tissue is the forerunner of long bones in the embryo?
A) elastic connective tissue
B) dense fibrous connective tissue
D) hyaline cartilage
6) A fracture in the shaft of a bone would be a break in the ________.
D) articular cartilage
12) The most abundant skeletal cartilage type is ________.
14) The structural unit of compact bone is ________.
A) osseous matrix
B) spongy bone
C) lamellar bone
D) the osteon
15) Bones are covered and lined by a protective tissue called
periosteum. The inner (osteogenic)
layer consists primarily of ________.
A) cartilage and compact bone
B) marrow and osteons
C) osteoblasts and osteoclasts
D) chondrocytes and osteocytes
16) The periosteum is secured to the underlying bone by dense connective tissue called ________.
A) Volkmannʹs canals
B) a bony matrix with hyaline cartilage
C) Perforating (Sharpeyʹs ) fibers
D) the struts of bone known as spicules
17) The canal that runs through the core of each osteon (the
Haversian canal) is the site of
A) cartilage and interstitial lamellae
B) osteoclasts and osteoblasts
C) yellow marrow and spicules
D) blood vessels and nerve fibers
18) The small spaces in bone tissue that are holes in which osteocytes live are called ________.
B) Volkmannʹs canals
C) Haversian canals
20) The process of bones increasing in width is known as ________.
A) closing of the epiphyseal plate
B) long bones reaching adult length and width
C) appositional growth
D) concentric growth
21) Bones are constantly undergoing resorption for various reasons.
Which of the following cells
accomplishes this process?
D) stem cell
22) Which hormone increases osteoclast activity to release more
calcium ions into the
C) parathyroid hormone
23) Vertebrae are considered ________ bones.
27) Cranial bones develop ________.
A) from cartilage models
B) within fibrous membranes
C) from a tendon
D) within osseous membranes
32) In the epiphyseal plate, cartilage grows ________.
A) by pulling the diaphysis toward the epiphysis
B) by pushing the epiphysis away from the diaphysis
C) from the edges inward
D) in a circular fashion
33) Spongy bones are made up of a framework called ________.
B) lamellar bone
D) osseous lamellae
34) Osteogenesis is the process of ________.
A) making a cartilage model of the fetal bone
B) bone destruction to liberate calcium
C) bone formation
D) making collagen fibers for calcified cartilage