In the Hershey and Chase experiment that helped confirm that DNA, not protein, was the hereditary material, the key finding was that radioactively labeled phosphorus was present inside the infected bacteria.
DNA replication is said to be semiconservative. What does this mean?
- One strand of the new double helix is made of DNA and the other strand is made of RNA.
- Each new double helix consists of one old and one new strand.
- One of the two resulting double helices is made of two old strands, and the other is made of two new strands.
- The old double helix is degraded and half of its nucleotides are used in the construction of two new double helices.
Each new double helix consists of one old and one new strand.
The function of helicase is that it untwists and joins Okazaki fragments.
What process repairs damage to a preexisting double helix?
- operon repair
- nucleotide excision repair
nucleotide excision repair
Telomeres are the repetitive DNA sequences present at the ends of eukaryotic chromosomes.