1. The smallest unit of life that can survive and reproduce on its own is a(n) ____
All of the coyotes ( Canis latrans ) living in the Mojave Desert constitute a(n) ____
Which term describes the collection of all populations living in the same area?
Organisms designated as producers usually obtain their energy from ____.
a. other producers
b. dead consumers
c. de composers
d. the environment.
As energy is transferred among organisms, some escapes from the environment as ____ energy.
Which process describes the ability of living organisms to maintain an internal environment within a tolerable range?
About 12 to 24 hours after the last meal, a person's blood sugar level normally varies from 60 to 90 mg per 100 ml of blood, although it may rise to 130 mg per 100 ml after meals high in carbohydrates. Yet, the blood sugar level ismaintained within a fairly narrow range, despite uneven intake of sugar. This is possible due to the process of ____.
Which function does not directly involve the instructions coded in an organism's DNA?
b. cell growth
c. need for nutrients
Which term refers to an increase in number, size, or volume in the cells of an organism?
Which term describes the transformation of one cell into a multicellular adult?
Which domain(s) is/are made up of organisms without nuclei?
a. archaea only
b. bacteria only
c. eukarya only
d. both archaea and bacteria
e. both bacteria and eukarya
Which organisms are multicellular eukaryotes, the majority of which are photosynthetic producers?
Which is the correct format for the scientific name of modern humans?
a. Homo Sapiens
b. Homo Sapiens
c. homo sapiens
d. Homo sapiens
e. Homo sapiens
A scientific name consists of the ____.
a. family name only
b. genus name only
c. specific epithet only
d. family name and genus name
e. genus name and specific epithet
Which is the most diverse and inclusive taxon?
The eighteenth-century naturalist Carolus Linnaeus is known for developing ____.
a. the theory of natural selection
b. a system for naming and classifying organisms
c. the biological species concept
d. the first microscope
e. the scientific method
Critical thinking is the process of ____.
a. finding fault in yourself
b. unconditionally accepting information from a trusted source
c. designing a scientific experiment
d. making a hypothesis
e. judging the quality of information before accepting it
A testable explanation for a natural phenomenon is a(n) _____.
e. conclusive description
To arrive at a conclusion based upon observations, scientists use _____
.a. inductive reasoning
b. deductive reasoning
c. subjective reasoning
d. logical intuition
e. biased methods
1) How is life defined?
A) The only requirement for life is the ability to reproduce.
B) Life is defined through a set of shared characteristics that all living things display.
C) A living thing must be able to move.
D)Life is determined by neural activity.
If you were to combine all of the ecosystems on the planet you would have the ----------
A college campus C including the students birds trees sidewall and air C ma&es up one complete -----
Which of these is reflective of the hierarchical organization of life
from most to least inclusive?
A) kingdom, order, family, phylum, class, genus, species
B) phylum, class, order, kingdom, family, genus, species
C) kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species
D) genus, species, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family
E) class, order, kingdom, phylum, family, genus, species
1,) Which of the following is the correct organi3ational hierarchy. from largest to smallest in the hierarchical order of life?
A) Community ...Ecosystem ....Population .... Tissue---Organ----Cell ----Organelle---Atom
B) Ecosystem ---Community .......Population ---.Organ... Tissue-----Cell ---Molecule----Atom
C) BIOSPHERE ...COMMUNITY ....Population .... Tissue---Organ----Cell ---Atom--- molecule.
D) ecosystem--- population --- community ---- organ system --- organ --- cell ----0 molecule --- atom
Beginning with an atom and working up to the entire planet biologists View life as arranged from -------
.A) small and simple to large and complex
B) small and complex to large and simple
C) large and complex to large and simple
D) large and complex/ to small and simple
WHAT IS TYPICALLY THE FIRST STEP IN THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD ?
THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD ------
A) is a rigid methodology that must be precise followed to ensure validity
B) is a rough recipe for answering questions but the steps need not to be performed in the same order as outlined
C) is the means by which absolute truth can be uncovered
D) is undertaken only by trained scientists in a controlled laboratory setting
if you were to evaluate these claims using the scientific method what would be the first step
A) conduct an experiment
.B) Gather testimonials.
C) develop a hypothesis.
D) evaluate the results.
- Thinking about life's organization al hierarchy in a biological system,which of the following is the correct sequence from the smallest unit to the largest unit?
- The hierarchy of life extends past individual Which of the following is the correct sequence, from least inclusive to most inclusive, following an individual organism?
- population -ecosystem-community -biosphere
- D.community-population -biosphere-ecosystem
- In living organisms ,emergent properties
- functionally arise from smaller successful parts and work together for a more successful organism.
- Are produced in a new generation of offspring that will show the
- Develop tissue and organ systems ,which show higher levels of
- functionally arise from larger successful parts working together for stronger organism.
- Evolve new properties from other similar
- To beconsidered living,anorganism must minimally consist of
- atoms and molecules
- DNA and proteins
C.one or more cells.
D.DNA and RNA
E.RNA and proteins
- Which of these is not a required characteristic of life?
- structural organization
- energy use
- Organisms that make their own nutrients by capturing energy from nonliving resources(solar energy)are called
Organisms that obtain energy and nutrients by eating the living or dead organisims are called
- Which of the following is not an example of a characteristic of life?
- Energy is needed to build,regulate,and conduct processes of life.
- Organisms are composed of atoms that make up
- Organism have the ability to reproduce,grow,and
- Organisms maintain internal
- All of the answer choices are correct.
- Thinking about taxonomy,the basic unit of naming,that includes members with the ability to reproduce with each other, is
The 4 kingdoms including the domain eukarya
A. bacteria, protista, plantae, and animalia
B. archae, fungi, plantae,and animalia
C.protista , fungi, plantae and animalia
D. bacteria, fungi, archaea and animalia
A major diffrence between prokaryotes and eukaryotes is that prokaryotes
A. don't have nucleus eukaryotes have nucleus in their cell
B. have DNA
- Which of the following is not a true statement about the scientific method?
- It does not apply to problems encountered in everyday life.
- It is a frame work to consider evidence in a repeatable
- It a frame work to consider ideas in are peatable