70 notecards = 18 pages (4 cards per page)
1) Which of following processes is the function of the smooth muscle layer of the digestive system?
2) Which of following processes is the primary function of the mouth?
3) Which of the following processes is the primary function of the villi of the small intestine?
4) Which of the following accessory organs produces a fluid to soften food?
5) Which of the following accessory organs produces a fluid that functions to emulsify dietary fats?
6) Which of the following accessory organs stores bile?
7) The capability of the GI tract to move material along its length
8) Which layer of the GI tract is composed of areolar connective tissue containing blood and lymph vessels?
9) Which layer of the GI tract is composed of areolar connective tissue that binds the mucosa to the muscularis?
10) Which layer of the gastrointestinal tract is composed of areolar connective tissue and epithelium?
11) Which structure is composed of prominent lymphatic nodules that function in the immune response?
12) Which plexus is located between the longitudinal and circular smooth muscle layers of the muscularis?
13) Why do emotions such as anger or fear slow digestion?
14) Which portion of the peritoneum drapes over the transverse colon and coils of the small intestine?
15) Which portion of the peritoneum attaches the liver to the anterior abdominal wall and diaphragm?
16) Which portion of the peritoneum is largely responsible for carrying blood and lymph vessels to the intestines?
17) In the mouth, the tooth sockets are lined with
18) Deciduous molars are replaced by
19) Which of the following layers of the GI tract contains skeletal muscle?
20) How many stages of deglutition are there?
21) Which structure of the stomach traverses several regions?
22) Which of the following cells secretes hydrochloric acid?
23) Which cell secretes the hormone that promotes production of hydrochloric acid?
24) How long can food stay in the fundus before being mixed with gastric juices?
25) Which major duct carries a fluid rich in bicarbonate ions?
26) Which of the following pancreatic enzymes digests lipids?
27) Which of the following structures is found on the liver and is a remnant of the umbilical vein in a fetus?
28) Which of the following is the principle bile pigment?
29) Which of the following is NOT a function of the liver itself?
30) Which of the following small intestine cells secretes lysozyme?
31) Brunner's glands
32) Which of the following enzymes acts to produce monoglycerides along with other products?
33) Which of the following pancreatic enzymes acts on glycogen and starches?
34) Which of the following pancreatic enzymes acts on peptide bonds?
35) Which hormone functions to counteract the effect of gastric acid in the small intestine?
36) Which hormone is stimulated by high levels of amino acids and fatty acids in the small intestine?
37) Which digestive aid, produced by the stomach, begins digestion by denaturing proteins?
38) Which structure regulates the flow of material into the colon?
39) Which of the following is NOT a primary function of the large intestine?
40) What is line A pointing to?
41) Which layer is composed of areolar connective tissue and epithelium?
42) Which layer contains the lamina propria?
46) Which the portion of the stomach connects to the duodenum?
47) What does line G point to?
49) What is line I pointing to?
52) Which of the following cells secretes gastrin?
53) Which of the following cells secretes pepsinogen?
61) Name the layer labeled A
62) Name the layer labeled B
63) Name the layer labeled C
64) Name the layer labeled E
65) Name the layer labeled D
66) The enzyme, produced in the organ labeled C, which digests DNA is called:
67) The enzyme, produced in the organ labeled C, that leads to the production of fatty acids and monoglycerides during digestion is called:
68) The enzyme, produced in the organ labeled D, that leads to the production of both glucose and galactose as products is called:
69) The enzyme, produced in the organ labeled D, that leads to the production of only glucose as a product is called:
70) Which of the following disorders involving the organ labeled E can result from viruses, drugs and chemicals such as alcohol?
71) Which of the following disorders can occur in the organ labeled B?
72) Which of the following is the forerunner of the gastrointestinal tract?
73) Which of the following is NOT a change in the digestive system associated with aging?
74) Which of the following is a contribution of the digestive system to the muscular system?
75) Which type of hepatitis is spread via fecal contamination of objects such as food, clothing, toys, and eating utensils and is characterized by loss of appetite, malaise, nausea, diarrhea, fever, and chills.
76) Which permanent tooth will erupt between the ages of nine and ten?
77) Which enzymes are secreted in the small intestine?
78) Which structure secretes alkaline fluid to buffer stomach acid?
79) The purpose of circular folds, villi and microvilli in the small intestine is to
80) If an individual complains of bloating, gas, cramps, and diarrhea following the eating of a banana split, they are MOST LIKELY suffering from… (Choose the best answer.)
81) An individual eats a diet high in digestible carbohydrates and fats and low in fiber. He begins to experience abdominal pain, constipation, nausea, vomiting and a low-grade fever. He is most likely suffering from
82) The substance that helps bacteria stick to teeth is
83) A disease characterized by a high fever, elevated neutrophil count higher than 75%, elevated white blood cell count and anorexia is