58 notecards = 15 pages (4 cards per page)
1) Which of the following is
B) composed of heavy and light polypeptide chains
2) Which of the following is
C) passage of IgG antibodies from a pregnant mother to her fetus
3) Which of the following is not a type
4) B lymphocytes develop
C) bone marrow
5) Which of the following is not a function of the inflammatory
B) replaces injured tissues with connective tissue
6) The redness and heat of an
7) The antibody molecule is held
8) In clonal selection of B cells, which
9) Which of the following statements
A) NK cells are a type of neutrophil.
10) The process whereby neutrophils
11) Small molecules that bind with
12) Which of the following is the correct sequence of events in
C) chemotaxis, adherence, ingestion, digestion, killing
13) The only T cells that can directly
C) cytotoxic cells
14) Which of the following does not
D) pathogens in the CNS
15) ________ predominate at the
16) Interferons ________.
C) interfere with viral replication within cells
17) ________ determine(s) what
D) Our genes
18) Regulatory T cells ________.
C) may function in preventing autoimmune reactions
19) Select the correct definition about
A) Isografts are between identical twins.
20) Which of the statements below
B) Antigens only come from microbes.
21) ________ are released by
22) Which of the following is a part of
23) Which of the following is characteristic of complete antigens?
B) reactivity with an antibody
24) B cells respond to the initial
D) producing progeny cells that include plasma cells and memory cells
25) Graft rejection may be caused by
A) using a xenograft
26) Cancer cells and virus-infected
A) natural killer cells
27) Complement proteins and
28) Which of the following is not
D) It is specific for a given organ.
29) Monoclonal antibodies are used
A) juvenile diabetes
30) Which of the following would be
D) allergic contact dermatitis
31) Innate immune system defenses
32) Which of the following
C) Class II MHC molecules appear only on the surface of antigen-presenting cells, thymic cells, and T cells that have been activated by exposure to antigens.
33) Phagocyte mobilization involves
C) mainly neutrophil and macrophage migration into inflamed areas
34) Fever ________.
C) production is regulated by chemicals that reset the body's thermostat to a higher setting
35) Immunocompetence ________.
B) is the ability of individual cells to recognize a specific antigen by binding to it
36) Select the correct statement
D) Tolerance is developed during fetal life.
37) Select the correct statement
D) Active and passive humoral immunity are both mechanisms of adaptive immunity that use antibodies.
38) Cytotoxic T cells ________.
A) are the only T cells that can directly attack and kill other cells
39) Helper T cells ________.
D) function in the adaptive immune system activation
40) Select the correct statement
B) The causative agent in acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a virus that recognizes CD4 proteins.
41) Which of the following is true of
D) They involve IgE antibodies and the release of histamine from cells mast and basophils.
42) Delayed hypersensitivities
B) include allergic contact dermatitis
43) Natural killer (NK) cells
D) can kill cancer cells before the immune system is activated
44) Select the correct statement
D) One antigen may have many different antigenic determinants and may therefore cause the formation of more than one antibody.
45) Clonal selection of B cells
B) results in the formation of plasma cells
46) The primary immune response
D) has a lag period while B cells proliferate and differentiate into plasma cells
47) Select the correct statement
C) Complement fixation is the main mechanism by which antibodies provide protection.
48) Which of the following cells is the
B) helper T cell
49) Which of the following is not an
B) type II diabetes
50) Which of the following is not a mechanism for the development of
B) a second exposure to an allergen
51) Select the correct statement
A) An adaptive immune mechanism is often involved in directing complement to its target.
52) Which of the following is true
D) IgM contains 10 binding sites.
53) Antibody functions include all of
B) cross-linking cell-bound antigens on red blood cells when blood types are properly matched
54) Which statement is true about T
B) Their proliferation is enhanced by interleukins 1 and 2.
55) Toll-like receptors (TLRs) trigger
56) Which of the following is not a
B) activating cytokines
57) What is the role of interferon in
B) protects cells that have not yet been infected by bacteria
58) Which of the following
C) After becoming immunocompetent, the naive T cells and B cells are