72 notecards = 18 pages (4 cards per page)
1) Which of the following blood vessels carries blood away from the heart to other organs?
2) Which of the following blood vessels carries blood from the tissues back to the heart?
3) Which layer of the arterial wall is responsible for vasoconstriction?
4) A blockage in the proximal portion of the right subclavian artery will not only affect circulation to the right arm, but also to the
5) The bronchial arteries arise from the
6) A blockage in the external iliac artery will reduce blood flow to the
7) In resting individuals, which vessels serve as a large blood reservoir from which blood can be quickly diverted to other vessels as needed?
8) In order to supply nourishment to liver tissue, which vessel must deliver blood to the organ?
9) If a patient is confined to bed and is unable to walk at all, which of the following will be seriously affected?
10) Capillaries are also referred to as
12) The layer of a blood vessel that is in direct contact with the blood is the
the layer of the vessel that is made up of smooth muscle and elastic fibers is the
13) Which of the following is the most important method of capillary exchange?
14) Which of the following structures is used to control the flow of blood through a capillary bed?
15) Which of the following types of tissues contains continuous capillaries?
16) The alternate route of blood flow to a body part through an anastomosis is called
17) The largest driving force for pulling fluid from the interstitial spaces back into the capillaries is
18) The pressure-driven movement of fluids and solutes from blood into interstitial fluid is called
19) The volume of blood that circulates through the systemic (or pulmonary) blood vessels per minute is called
20) Cardiac output is dependent on both
21) Vascular resistance depends on which of these factors? Select all that apply.
22) Which of the following would NOT result in an increase in arterial blood pressure?
23) Which of the following would NOT result in an increase in systemic vascular resistance?
24) The right common carotid artery branches directly off the
25) Which of the following is NOT a contribution of the cardiovascular system to other body systems?
26) The cardiovascular center is located
27) The most common disorder affecting the heart and blood vessels is
28) Pericardial arteries supply blood to the
29) Which of the following hormones would NOT stimulate changes that lead to an increase in arterial blood pressure?
30) Blood flow passing through the posterior aspect of the knee is achieved through the
32) The circulatory system aids in the homeostasis of the skeletal system by
33) Nutrients from digested food enter the liver via the
34) Abnormal conditions such as atherosclerosis and patent (open) ductus arteriosus cause a large increase in the
35) The branches from the ascending aorta that supply blood to the cardiac muscle are the
38) Which of the labeled layers in the diagram of the arterial wall consists mainly of elastic fibers and smooth muscle fibers?
39) Which of the labeled layers in the diagram of the arterial wall is composed of a simple squamous epithelium, a basement membrane and a layer of elastic tissue?
40) Which labeled structure in the figure is a metarteriole?
41) A blockage to one or both of the inferior phrenic veins will cause a backup of blood into which structure?
42) Which labeled structure in the figure is precapillary sphincter?
43) Which of the capillaries shown in the figure has an incomplete or absent basement membrane?
44) Which of the types of capillaries shown in the figure is commonly found in the kidneys, villi of the small intestine, choroid plexuses, and some endocrine glands?
45) What physiological process is depicted in this figure?
47) Which of the following would NOT occur in response to hypovolemic shock?
48) All the veins of the systemic circulation eventually drain into the
e) superior and inferior vena cava and coronary sinus
49) The pulmonary trunk divides into
50) If the foramen ovale doesn’t close at birth, the result will be
52) Which of the following vessels supplies blood to the intestines?
54) Which of the following vessels drains blood from the lower leg?
55) Which of the following vessels drains blood from the head and neck?
56) Which of the following vessels carries the venous blood from the lower body into the right atrium?
57) When the umbilical cord is tied after birth, the umbilical arteries close by filling in with
63) Which vessel in the figure is labeled “B”?
64) Which vessel in the figure is labeled “A”?
65) Which vessel in the figure is labeled “B”?
e) left fibular vein
66) Which vessel in the figure is labeled “C”?
67) Which vessel in the figure is labeled “F”?
68) Which vessel in the figure is labeled “C”?
69) Which vessel in the figure is labeled “D”?
70) Which vessel in the figure is labeled “G”?
71) In the fetal heart, several structures allow blood from the left and right sides to mix. When the newborn takes its first breath, these structures must close to ensure that oxygenated blood from the left side does not mix with deoxygenated blood from the right side. Which of the following closed structures prevent this mixing between the systemic and pulmonary circulation after the umbilical cord is cut? Select all that apply.
73) During embryonic development, blood vessels are formed by
74) During embryonic development, blood cells are formed from
76) Normal blood pressure for a young adult male is less than
77) Which of the following types of blood vessels have high, pulsing blood pressure?
78) What would the mean arterial pressure be for an individual with a blood pressure of 120/80?
79) Which of the following effectors would NOT be activated as described below in response to hypovolemic shock?
80) The pulmonary circulatory route carries blood from the
81) Emphysema is a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) that causes progressive destruction of alveoli (air sacs) in the lungs leading to a decreased ability to exhale. How does this disease affect carbon dioxide levels in the blood?
82) Into which of the following categories would an individual with a blood pressure of 145/95 be placed?
83) Which of the following categories of hypertension drugs lower blood pressure by blocking formation of angiotensin II, which results in vasodilation and decreased aldosterone secretion?
84) Which of the following veins drains the muscles, bones and skin of the hand of the forearm? Select all that apply.
85) The chemical histamine causes capillary walls to become more permeable. Excess histamine
secretion, as might be seen in allergic responses, might lead to