41 notecards = 11 pages (4 cards per page)
1) A fibrous joint that is a peg-in-socket is called a ________
2) The cruciate ligaments of the knee ________.
C) prevent hyperextension of the knee
5) Articular cartilage found at the ends of the long bones serves to
C) provide a smooth surface at the ends of synovial joints
6) A joint united by dense fibrocartilaginous tissue that usually
permits a slight degree of
8) Connective tissue sacs lined with synovial membranes that act as
cushions in places where
9) Articulations permitting only slight degrees of movement are
11) ________ are cartilaginous joints.
12) The gliding motion of the wrist is accomplished because of the
13) The ligaments that protect the alignment of the femoral and
tibial condyles and limit the
A) cruciate ligaments
14) Bending your head back until it hurts is an example of ________.
In the classification of joints, which of the following is true?
B) All synovial joints are freely movable.
Synarthrotic joints ________.
A) are found at the junction of the epiphysis and diaphysis of
C) permit essentially no movement
18) Fibrous joints are classified as ________.
D) sutures, syndesmoses, and gomphoses
19) In symphysis joints the articular surfaces of the bones are
covered with ________.
A) hyaline cartilage
20) Synovial fluid is present in joint cavities of freely movable
joints. Which of the following
C) It contains hyaluronic acid
Which of the following statements defines synchondroses?
D) cartilaginous joints where hyaline cartilage unites the ends of bones
What are menisci?
A) cavities lined with cartilage
C) semilunar cartilage pads
Which of the following is a true statement regarding gliding
A) Gliding movements occur at the intercarpal and intertarsal joints.
When one is moving a limb away from the median plane of the body
along the frontal plane, it
The terms inversion and eversion pertain only to ________.
B) the feet
The hip joint is a good example of a(n) ________ synovial joint.
Movement allowed in a pivot joint is known as ________.
C) uniaxial rotation
Compared to the shoulder, displacements of the hip joints are
B) rare because of the ligament reinforcement
The ________ ligament holds the radius to the ulna at the proximal
Which ligament of the knee initiates the knee-jerk reflex when
A) the patellar ligament
Football players often sustain lateral blows to the extended knee.
Which of the ligaments is/are
D) medial collateral, medial meniscus, and anterior cruciate
32) Which of the following conditions is generally considered a
noninflammatory type of arthritis?
What can cause gouty arthritis?
A) excessive blood levels of uric acid deposited as crystals in the
soft tissue joints
A) excessive blood levels of uric acid deposited as crystals in the soft tissue joints
Pointing the toes is an example of ________.
B) plantar flexion
35) Which of the following is a true statement?
D) The annular ligament surrounds the head of the radius
Multiaxial joints of the body include ________.
C) the hip and shoulder
Presence of a synovial cavity, articular cartilage, synovial
membrane, and ligaments are
D) hinge joint
Extracapsular ligaments stabilizing the knee include ________.
B) lateral and medial collateral ligaments preventing lateral or medial angular movements
Which of the following is a correct statement about development of joints?
A) Joints develop in parallel with bones.
A) Joints develop in parallel with bones
An example of an interosseus fibrous joint is ________.
B) the radius and ulna along its length
Which of the following statements best describes angular movements?
D) They change (increase or decrease) the angle between two bones.
Saddle joints have concave and convex surfaces. Name the two bones of
the hand that
D) The trapezium of the carpal bone and the thumbʹs metacarpal.
Tendon sheaths ________.
A) act as friction-reducing structures
Which of the following is not a part of the synovial joint?
Which of the following is not a factor that contributes to keeping the articular surfaces of diarthroses in contact?
number of bones in the joint