32 notecards = 8 pages (4 cards per page)
1) Which of the following is reflective of the phrase "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"?
A) high-throughput technology
2) Sometimes atoms form molecules by sharing two pairs of valence electrons. When this occurs, the atoms are said to be joined by 2) _______
A) a hydrogen bond.
D) a double covalent bond.
E) a complex bond.
3) Which of these is a correct representation of the hierarchy of biological organization from least to most complex? 3) _______
A) molecule, small intestine, large intestine, intestinal tissue,
digestive system, organism
4) Evolution is biology's core theme that ties together all the other themes. This is because evolution explains 4) _______
A) why distantly related organisms sometimes resemble each
5) Which of the following pairs of atoms would be most likely to form an ionic bond?
6) Which one of the atoms shown would be most likely to form a cation with a charge of +1?
7) Prokaryotes are classified as belonging to two different domains.
What are the domains? A) Bacteria and Protista
C) Eukarya and Monera
D) Bacteria and Eukarya
E) Bacteria and Archaea
8) What is the atomic number of the cation formed in the reaction illustrated in Figure 2.3?
D) 8 E) 1
9) What results from the chemical reaction illustrated in Figure 2.3?
A) a cation with a net charge of +1
D) an anion with a net charge of -1 E) A and D
10) When blood glucose level rises, the pancreas secretes insulin, and as a result blood glucose level declines. When blood glucose level is low, the pancreas secretes glucagon, and as a result blood glucose level rises. Such regulation of blood glucose level is the result of
A) catalytic feedback.
B) protein-protein interactions. C) bioinformatic regulation.
11) The lowest level of biological organization that can perform all
the activities required for life is the A) tissue–for example, nervous
C) organelle–for example, a chloroplast.
D) organism–for example, an amoeba, dog, human, or maple tree.
E) cell–for example, a skin cell.
12) Which of the following results from a transfer of electron(s) between atoms?
A) nonpolar covalent bond
D) hydrogen bond
13) Why is it important that an experiment include a control
E) The control group provides a reserve of experimental subjects.
14) Which of the following sequences represents the hierarchy of biological organization from the least to the most complexlevel? 14)______
A) organism, community, biosphere, molecule, tissue, organ
C) organelle, tissue, biosphere, ecosystem, population, organism
D) ecosystem, cell, population, tissue, organism, organ system
15) Which of the following properties or processes do we associate
with living things? A) responding to the environment
D) evolutionary adaptations
E) all of the above
16) Which of the following is not considered to be a weak molecular
interaction? A) a covalent bond
D) an ionic bond in the presence of water
E) A and B only
17) Which of the following pairs of atoms would be most likely to form a covalent bond?
18) A water sample from a hot thermal vent contained a single-celled organism that had a cell wall but lacked a nucleus. What is its most likely classification?
19) Once labor begins in childbirth, contractions increase in intensity and frequency until delivery. The increasing labor contractions of childbirth are an example of
A) enzymatic catalysis.
C) feedback inhibition.
20) A group of molecular biologists is trying to synthesize a new artificial compound to mimic the effects of a known hormone that influences sexual behavior. They have turned to you for advice. Which of the following compounds is most likely to mimic the effects of the hormone? 20) ______
A) a compound with the same three-dimensional shape as part of the
21) For most ecosystems __________ is (are) the ultimate source of energy, and energy leaves the ecosystem in the form of __________.
A) heat; light
22) In terms of the hierarchical organization of life, a bacterium is at the __________ level of organization, whereas a
human is at the __________ level of organization.
A) organelle; organ system
E) single tissue; multicellular organism
23) Which one of the atoms shown would be most likely to form an anion with a charge of -1?
24) A localized group of organisms that belong to the same species is called a
25) What is a hypothesis?
D) the same thing as an unproven theory
26) Which of the following molecules contains the strongest polar covalent bond?
27) Which of the following is (are) true of natural selection?
A) results in descent with modification
D) B and C only
E) A, B, and C
28) Which branch of biology is concerned with the naming and classifying of organisms?
29) What is the difference between covalent bonds and ionic
30) About 25 of the 92 natural elements are known to be essential to life. Which four of these 25 elements make up approximately 96% of living matter?
A) oxygen, hydrogen, calcium, sodium
B) carbon, sulfur, phosphorus, hydrogen
C) carbon, sodium, chlorine, nitrogen
E) carbon, oxygen, sulfur, calcium
31) Charles Darwin proposed a mechanism for descent with modification which stated that organisms of a particular species are adapted to their environment when they possess
A) inheritable traits that decrease their survival and reproductive
success in the local environment.
32) Which of the following explains most specifically the attraction of water molecules to one another?
A) ionic bond
D) nonpolar covalent bond
E) hydrogen bond