56 notecards = 14 pages (4 cards per page)
Which of the choices below is not a functional process performed by
the respiratory system?
2) The loudness of a person's voice depends on the ________.
3) The walls of the alveoli are composed of two types of cells, type
I and type II. The function of type II is to ________.
4) Complete the following statement using the choices below. Air
moves out of the lungs when the pressure inside the lungs is
5) Unlike inspiration, expiration is a passive act because no
muscular contractions are involved. Expiration, however, depends on
two factors. Which of the choices below lists those two factors?
6) Which of the following maintains the patency (openness) of the
7) Intrapulmonary pressure is the ________.
8) The relationship between the pressure and volume of gases is given
9) The statement, "in a mixture of gases, the total pressure is
the sum of the individual partial pressures of gases in the
mixture" paraphrases ________.
10) Surfactant helps to prevent the alveoli from collapsing by
11) For gas exchange to be efficient, the respiratory membrane must
12) With the Bohr effect, more oxygen is released because a(n)
13) The most powerful respiratory stimulus for breathing in a healthy
person is ________.
14) Nerve impulses from ________ will result in inspiration.
15) In the plasma, the quantity of oxygen in solution is ________.
16) Which of the following statements is incorrect?
17) Which of the choices below describes the forces that act to pull
the lungs away from the thorax wall and thus collapse the lungs?
18) Which of the following does not influence the increase in
ventilation that occurs as exercise is initiated?
19) Which of the following is not a form of lung cancer?
20) Which of the following is not an event necessary to supply the
body with O2 and dispose of CO2?
21) Which of the following is not true of the respiratory tract from
the medium bronchi to the aveoli?
22) Which of the following determines lung compliance?
23) Tidal volume is air ________.
24) Which of the choices below determines the direction of
respiratory gas movement?
Possible causes of hypoxia include ________.
The lung volume that represents the total volume of exchangeable air
is the ________.
Because the lungs are filled with fluid during fetal life, which of
the following statements is true regarding respiratory exchange?
Which of the following is not a stimulus for breathing?
Respiratory control centers are located in the ________.
The amount of air that can be inspired above the tidal volume is
31) Which statement about CO2 is incorrect?
32) Oxygen and carbon dioxide are exchanged in the lungs and through
all cell membranes by ________.
33) Select the correct statement about the pharynx.
34) The larynx contains ________.
35) Which respiratory-associated muscles would contract if you were
to blow up a balloon?
36) How is the bulk of carbon dioxide carried in blood?
37) Which of the following is not found on the right lobe of the
38) Which of the choices below is not a role of the pleura?
40) Factors that influence the rate and depth of breathing include
41) Which of the following provide the greatest surface area for gas
42) The respiratory membrane is a combination of ________.
43) Gas emboli may occur because a ________.
44) Inspiratory capacity is ________.
45) Which center is located in the pons?
46) The nose serves all the following functions except ________.
47) A premature baby usually has difficulty breathing. However, the
respiratory system is developed enough for survival by ________.
47) Which of the following statements is true regarding the
respiratory rate of a newborn?
48) Select the correct statement about the neural mechanisms of
49) Which of the choices below is not a factor that promotes oxygen
binding to and dissociation from hemoglobin?
50) The factors responsible for holding the lungs to the thorax wall
52) The erythrocyte count increases after a while when an individual
goes from a low to a high altitude because the ________.
53) Most inspired particles such as dust fail to reach the lungs
because of the ________.
54) Which of the following is not possible?
55) Select the correct statement about the physical factors
influencing pulmonary ventilation.
56) Select the correct statement about oxygen transport in blood:
57) Which of the disorders below is characterized by destruction of
the walls of the alveoli producing abnormally large air spaces that
remain filled with air during exhalation?