7 notecards = 2 pages (4 cards per page)
5. Valves prevent blood from flowing backwards in veins. They are formed from folds of the tunica intima,
6. In the systemic circuit, veins contain more blood than
7. Veins have more anastomoses than arteries.
8. The three
When you first stand up, mean arterial pressure (MAP) temporarily
decreases and this is sensed by aortic and carotid baroreceptors.
Medullary cardiac and vasomotor center reflexes increase sympathetic
and decrease parasympathetic outflow to
14. The kidneys help maintain MAP by influencing blood volume.
bob is in vascular shock due to anaphylaxis, a systemic allergic
reaction to his medication. His blood pressure is low because of
widespread vasodilation triggered by the massive release of histamine.
Bob's rapid heart rate is a result of the baroreceptor reflex
triggered by his low blood
16. Diuretics cause a decrease in blood
In a bicycle race, autoregulation by intrinsic metabolic controls causes arteriolar smooth muscle in your legs to relax, dilating the vessels and supplying more O, and nutrients to the exercising muscles.
18. Extrinsic mechanisms, primarily the sympathetic