55 notecards = 14 pages (4 cards per page)
1) Which of the following statements about sepsis is FALSE?
2) Which of the following pairs is mismatched?
3) Which of the following is NOT a recognized form of
4) Which of the following is NOT typically treated with
5) Which of the following statements about tularemia is
6) Which of the following is a symptom of brucellosis?
7) Which of the following is NOT transmitted in raw milk?
8) Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of Bacillus
9) The symptoms of gas gangrene are due to all of the following
10) Which of the following bacterial infections CANNOT be transmitted
by dog or cat bites?
11) Which of the following pairs is mismatched?
12) Unsanitary and crowded conditions increase the incidence of all
of the following diseases EXCEPT
13) Which of the following statements about toxoplasmosis is
14) Which of the following pairs does NOT apply to Chagas'
15) Which of the following is NOT caused by a bacterium?
16) A patient presents with inflammation of the heart valves, fever,
malaise, and subcutaneous nodules at joints. The recommended treatment
17) Which of the following statements about puerperal sepsis is
18) Which of the following statements about schistosomiasis is
19) Which of the following statements about rheumatic fever is
20) Which of the following pairs is mismatched?
21) Which of the following can be transmitted from an infected mother to her fetus across the placenta?
22) Which of the following pairs is mismatched?
23) A patient returning from an extended trip into Mexico has the
following symptoms: a papule at the site of a previous bug bite and
enlarged lymph nodes. Microscopic examination of the papule reveals
nucleated cells in white blood cells. The patient most likely
24) Human-to-human transmission of plague is usually by
25) A characteristic symptom of plague is
26) Which of the following pairs regarding the epidemiology of
malaria is mismatched?
27) A predisposing factor for infection by Clostridium perfringens
28) Which of the following is NOT a zoonosis?
29) Arthropods can serve as a reservoir for all of the following
30) Which of the following pairs is mismatched?
31) Which of the following CANNOT be transmitted to humans from
32) Which of the following is the same for both relapsing fever and
33) Which of the following is NOT treated with antibiotics?
34) Which of the following produces a permanent carrier state
35) Epstein-Barr virus has been implicated in all of the following
36) Which of the following leads to all the others?
37) A patient complains of fever, severe muscle and joint pain, and a
rash. The patient reports returning from a Caribbean vacation one week
ago. Which of the following do you suspect?
38) Which of the following pairs is NOT correctly matched for Gram
39) Scrapings from a patient's rash reveal cercariae. The disease is
40) You advise your pregnant friend to not adopt a new kitten from
her neighbor because she could contract
41) Which of the following is evidence that the arthritis afflicting
children in Lyme, Connecticut, was due to bacterial infection?
42) Which of the following is NOT controlled by a mosquito
43) A 62-year-old man was hospitalized with an eight-day history of
fever, chills, sweats, and vomiting. His temperature on admission was
40°C (104°F). A routine peripheral blood smear revealed ring-shaped
bodies in the RBCs. What treatment would you prescribe?
44) Which of the following statements about group B streptococci is
45) Brucella bacteria are considered a potential agent of
1) All lymph that returns to the heart must pass through at least one lymph node.
2) Lymph contains red blood cells.
3) Pathogens must be blood-borne in order to initiate sepsis.
4) Neonatal sepsis is most commonly caused by group A streptococci.
5) Subacute bacterial endocarditis is commonly the result of infections initially focused on the oral cavity.
6) All viral hemorrhagic fever outbreaks have been confined to the Eastern Hemisphere.
7) Netting modified for sandflies should also be useful in preventing malaria.
8) Tularemia is considered to be a potential bioterrorism agent due its high infective dose.
9) All forms of typhus are associated with arthropod vectors.
10) The most likely primary site of replication during mononucleosis is the B lymphocyte.