9 notecards = 3 pages (4 cards per page)
Factors that led to development of sociology as a discipline
1. Industrial Revolution
2. Rise of Imperialism
3. Success of Natural Sciences
Symbolic Interactionism vs. Functionalism
1. Functionalism: Macro | Symbolic: Micro
Similarities between marxism and functionalism
1. Both macro
2. Both use analogies to explain the social structure.
3. Both developed in Europe.
Sociologists goals vs journalists
1. More systematic
2. Grounded in theory
What sociologists can do to avoid bias in conducting research. `
1. selection bias: random sampling
2. verify with sources
3. respondent bias: dont let respondents feel pressured: dont write questions as if there's a right answer. keep anonymity
Difficulties faced by researchers when conducting research
1. lack of access to high quality data
2. getting accurate info.
Historical factors influencing structure of caribbean family
1. slavery : women had to stay with children = matrifocal family + absenteeism among fathers.
Types of families found in caribbean
2. sibling family
3. visiting relationship
Factors responsible for change in caribbean family today