Chapter 48 - Immunosuppressant Drugs
What is the general action of immunosuppressants?
- They inhibit T-lymphocytes.
- They reduce hepatic metabolism of steroids.
- They increase antibody response.
- They increase natural killer cellular activity.
A. They inhibit T-lymphocytes.
Which condition is not an anticipated adverse effect of azathioprine (Imuran)?
The nurse would anticipate administering which medication to a client demonstrating acute organ rejection?
- Muromonab-CD3 (Orthoclone OKT3)
- Basiliximab (Simulect)
- Azathioprine (Imuran)
- Sirolimus (Rapamune)
A. Muromonab-CD3 (Orthoclone OKT3)
Before administering an intravenous (IV) injection of basiliximab (Simulect), the nurse should anticipate giving which medication?
- Methylprednisolone (Solu-Medrol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Meperidine (Demerol)
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
A. Methylprednisolone (Solu-Medrol)
The nurse would teach a client prescribed cyclosporine (Sandimmune) to avoid which substance?
- Grapefruit juice
- Chocolate milk
The client is being treated with the drug fingolimod (Gilenya). The nurse would expect that this drug is prescribed for what client condition?
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Guillain-Barré syndrome
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
C. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
The drug mycophenolate (CellCept) has a black box warning because of which potential adverse effect?
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Suicidal ideations
- Congenital malformations
C. Congenital malformations
Before administration of an immunosuppressant drug, the nurse should perform which actions? Select all that apply.
- Check liver enzyme tests.
- Measure abdominal girth.
- Assess blood pressure and heart rate.
- Check blood urea nitrogen and creatinine levels.
- Assess level of consciousness.
A. Check liver enzyme tests.
C. Assess blood pressure and heart rate.
D. Check blood urea nitrogen and creatinine levels.
E. Assess level of consciousness.
When educating the client about immunosuppressant therapy, what information would the nurse include in the teaching? Select all that apply.
- “If you miss a dose of medication, take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.”
- “Never stop taking these medications without being instructed by your health care provider.”
- “Over-the-counter medications are alright to take as needed.”
- “You must take all medications exactly as prescribed.”
- “Medications must be taken at the correct time every time to avoid interactions.”
B. “Never stop taking these medications without being instructed by your health care provider.”
D. “You must take all medications exactly as prescribed.”
E. “Medications must be taken at the correct time every time to avoid interactions.”