Chapter 20 - Clotting
The nurse knows that which assessment finding is characteristic of a deep vein thrombosis in the leg?
- Bilateral edema of the leg associated with an albumin level of 2 g/dL
- Unilateral swelling with redness over the swollen area
- Brisk reflexes in the lower extremities
- Brownish discoloration of the skin over the lower extremities
B. Unilateral swelling with redness over the swollen area
A patient had a hip replacement 3 days ago. The patient states that the right leg is swollen below the knee and is warm to the touch. The patient has the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis. Which intervention is appropriate for the patient?
- Massage the extremity to decrease pain.
- Place the leg in a dependent position.
- Apply ice bags to the lower leg.
- Elevate the right lower leg when the patient is in the sitting position.
D. Elevate the right lower leg when the patient is in the sitting position.
Which patient has the highest risk for development of a blood clot?
- A woman who smokes and is taking estrogen-containing birth control pills
- A distance runner
- A man with a history of asthma
- A woman who is taking aspirin for menstrual cramps
A. A woman who smokes and is taking estrogen-containing birth control pills
A patient is admitted to the medical unit with pneumonia. When reviewing home medications, which of the following medications would the nurse recognize as a risk for bleeding?
- Diltiazem (Cardizem)
- Warfarin (Coumadin)
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Metformin (Glucophage)
B. Warfarin (Coumadin)
Which interventions are most important for preventing bleeding in patients with bleeding disorders? Select all that apply.
- Using a soft-bristle toothbrush
- Avoiding over-the-counter medications that contain aspirin
- Using a blade razor
- Removing obstacles that may result in a fall
- Giving medication by intramuscular injection
A. Using a soft-bristle toothbrush
B. Avoiding over-the-counter medications that contain aspirin
D. Removing obstacles that may result in a fall