Chapter 45 - Antineoplastic Drugs Part 1: Cancer Overview and Cell Cycle-Specific Drugs
How would the nurse define the term nadir to a client?
- The client’s tolerance and resistance to the chemotherapy’s bone marrow suppressant effect
- The average number of days it takes the bone marrow to recover from a dose of chemotherapy
- The average number of days it takes for chemotherapy to have its peak effect on the bone marrow
- The maximum dose for a chemotherapy medication in reference to bone marrow suppression
C. The average number of days it takes for chemotherapy to have its peak effect on the bone marrow
The nurse would anticipate administering which medication to clients receiving high-dose methotrexate (Trexall)?
- Cisplatin (Platinol)
- Dactinomycin (Cosmegen)
- Bleomycin (Blenoxane)
- Leucovorin (Wellcovorin)
D. Leucovorin (Wellcovorin)
Nausea and vomiting are frequent adverse effects associated with antineoplastic therapy. What should the nurse advise clients experiencing these unpleasant adverse effects?
- Use antacids to relieve the irritation to the stomach, which should stop the nausea.
- Try to maintain hydration and nutrition, which are very important during treatment.
- Increase intake of dry or high-fiber foods, and foods that have a rough texture.
- Consider relaxation techniques because these symptoms should improve over time.
B. Try to maintain hydration and nutrition, which are very important during treatment.
Current research has led to discovery of cancer-causing viruses in humans. Which virus is linked to cancer and can be prevented in humans?
- Leukemia viruses
- Rous sarcoma virus
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Shope papillomavirus
C. Human papillomavirus (HPV)
When teaching a client receiving paclitaxel (Taxol), the nurse should instruct the client about which common adverse effect?
- Joint pain
- Weight gain
A. Joint pain
Which are general adverse effects of chemotherapy? Select all that apply.
- Urinary retention
Combinations of antineoplastic drugs are frequently used for which purpose? Select all that apply.
- Lower cost of treatment
- Prevent drug resistance
- Decrease the severity of adverse effects
- Decrease drug tolerance
- Provide a synergistic action
B. Prevent drug resistance
C. Decrease the severity of adverse effects
E. Provide a synergistic action