1. A hybridoma results from the fusion of a (an)
B cell with a myeloma cell
2. A test used to identify antibodies against Treponema pallidum in a patient's serum is the
Indirect fluorescent-antibody test
3. Adjuvants such as aluminum salts are used as additives in vaccines to enhance immune responses
4. A test used to identify Streptococcus pyogenes in a patient's throat swab is the
Direct fluorescent-antibody test
5. All of the following are generally used in vaccines EXCEPT
6. Blood typing tests are examples of hemagglutination reactions
In a direct ELISA test to screen for drugs in a patient's urine, what is the third step in the test process?
Enzyme-labeled antibodies against the drug being tested is added
8. In a vaccine preparation, the term "attenuated" means that the agent does NOT replicate
9. In an agglutination test, eight serial dilutions to determine antibody titer were set up. Tube #1 contained a 1:2 dilution, tube #2, a 1:4, etc. If tube #6 is the last tube showing agglutination, what is the antibody titer?
10. In an immunodiffusion test to diagnose histoplasmosis, a patient's serum is placed in a well in an agar plate. In a positive test, a line forms as the serum diffuses from the well and meets material diffusing from a second well. What type of test is this?
A precipitation reaction
11. In an immunodiffusion test to diagnose the fungal disease histoplasmosis, a patient's serum is placed in a well in an agar plate. In a positive test, participate forms as the serum diffuses from the well and meets diffusing from a second well. In this test process, what is the most likely identity of the material in the second well?
A purified fungal antigen
12. Monclonal antibodies are used in diagnostic tests and disease treatments because they
Are highly specific and they can produced in large quantities
13. Purified protein from Bordetella pertussis is used in a (an)
14. The home pregnancy test kit is an example of direct ELISA
15. Vaccines are preparations of organisms or fractions of organisms that are used to induce protective immune responses
16. What type of vaccine is the live, weakened measles virus?
Attenuated whole-agent vaccine
17. Which item is from the patient in a direct ELISA test?
18. Which of the following is NOT and advantage of live attenuated vaccine agents?
They occasionally revert to virulent forms
19. Which of the following tests is Most useful in determining the presence of AIDS antibodies?
20. Which of the following uses fluorescent-labeled antibodies?