Micro Lab Quiz #1
When should you wash your hands in lab?
- In the beginning and end of lab
- Wash if contaminated with microorganisms
When do you wipe down the lab bench and what do you use ?
- Before and after each lab period
- Disinfectant and paper towels
What must worn in lab?
- Goggles, lab coats and closed toed shoes
What is the procedure in case of a fire or emergency evacuation?
- Turn off bunsen burners and hot plates
- Take personal items when evacuating the room
- Meet at the grass area near the tennis courts
- Don't leave before informing the instructor that you are safe
Where is the class meeting location outside the building in case of a emergency?
Grass area near the tennis courts
How do biohazard buckets look like and what are disposed in them?
- Large buckets lined with red bags
- Petri dishes and contaminated paper towels
How do slide disposal buckets look like and what are disposed in them?
- Small bucket lined with a red bag
- Student prepared slides and temporary slides
What shouldn't be placed in the slide disposal buckets?
- commercially prepared slides
How should culture tubes be sorted?
- Type of closure
- Tube type
How should culture tubes be labeled?
- Only with Avery labels or wax pencils
What should be done in case of spills of liquids containing microorganisms?
- Saturate the spill with disinfectant solution
- Cover area with paper towels for 10 minutes
- Put contaminated paper towels in biohazard disposal buckets
- Repeat the the process
What should be done in case of spills of liquids on books, notebooks or paper?
- Blot the spill on item
- Place contaminated item in uv cabinet and turn the uv light for 15 min
What number should you call from the classroom in case of an emergency?
What is the objective lens magnification and total magnification for scanning lens?
What is the objective lens magnification and total magnification for low power lens?
What is the objective lens magnification and total magnification for High/dry lens?
What is the objective lens magnification and total magnification for oil immersion lens?
What lens can immersion oil be used with?
- 100x objective lens
What is the purpose of the immersion oil?
- Forms a seal between the slide and lens
- It is needed when using this lens to maximize the amount of light that enters the lens
- Same refractive index as glass, so there is no diffraction (bending) of the light
What objective lens should be used to find the plane of focus?
- Scanning (4x)
- Low power (10x)
What two lenses can only be used with course focus?
- Low power
What are the first steps in the quick focusing guide?
- Place slide on stage using clips
- Using the adjustable stage knobs, to center the slide in the middle
- Adjust the height condenser to 1/4 inch below the stage
What is the second step in the quick focusing guide?
- Raise the stage to its highest position and place scanning or low power lens over the stage
What are the third steps in the quick focusing guide?
- Lower the stage using coarse focus knob
- Sharpen focus using fine focus knob
- Adjust light using intensity knob and iris diaphragm lever
What are the fourth steps in the quick focusing guide?
- To increase the magnification, rotate next magnification lens
When rotating to a higher magnification, what shouldn't and should do?
- Shouldn't drop the stage between objective lenses
- Should just adjust fine focus and reposition iris diaphragm for correct light
What does ocular mean?
What does objective mean?
What does refraction mean?
What is a compound microscope?
What is the fine focus?
What is the course focus?
What is the condenser lens?
What is the iris diaphragm?
What is the working distance?
What is the field diameter?
When should lens paper and kimwipes be used?
What is the eyepiece head?
What are three ways to adjust the light of the microscope?
- Using the light intensity knob
- Iris diaphragm knob
- height of condenser
How should you carry the microscope?
- Carry with both hands
- One on base and one holding the arm
- Don't support using the stage
You can rotate the eyepiece head. True or False
What should you make sure before placing prepared and stained slide on stage of microscope?
- Slide has to be completely dry and no stain remains on the underside of the slide
You can clean the lenses of the microscope with kimwipes. True or False
What should be the position of the microscope when returning it?
Arm is facing outward and eyepieces is facing inward
What is A?
What is B?
What is C?
Headpiece holding screws
What is D?
What is E?
What is F?
Light intensity knob
What is G?
Adjustable stage knobs
What is H?
Fine focus knob
What is I?
What is J
What is K?
Iris diaphragm lever
What is L?
What is M?
What is N?
What is O?
What is A?
Condenser height knob
What is B?
Fine focus knob
What is C?
Coarse focus knob
Which groups of microorganisms can be grown in artificial media and which cannot?
- Bacteria and fungi can be grown in artificial media
- Viruses cannot be
What is agar used for?
It is solidifying agent for media
Where does agar come from?
- does not provide any nutritional value for bacteria
Which temperature does agar become a liquid?
Which temperature does agar become a solid?
or 45 - 50 C
What is NB?
Nutrient Broth for
What is NA?
What is TSA?
Tryptic soy agar
What is the visual clue that can determine whether agar is solid or liquid?
- Clear - Liquid
- Opaque - Solid
What does ubiquity mean?
The ability of microorganisms to be found everywhere at the same time
What is normal flora and give some examples?
- Microorganisms that colonize a host without causing a disease under normal conditions
- Staphylococcus epidermidis
- Streptococcus mitis
What is a pathogen and give some examples?
- a disease-causing organism
- Staphylococcus saprophyticu
Conversion factor of L to mL
1 L = 1000 mL
Conversion factor of g to mg
1 g = 1000 mg
cm = ?
mm = ?
(micron) um = ?
What is the purpose of autoclaving media before use?
- autoclave carries out that exact function of sterilizing materials. It is a machine that uses pressure and steam to reach and maintain a temperature that is too high for any microorganisms or their spores to live. Autoclaving is used to kill all micro-organisms that are in the culture. A clean culture free of all micro-organisms is essential as you only want the organism of intrest to grow.