Activity 4: Determining the Hemocrit
When is the hematocrit routinely determined?
When anemia is suspected
How is the hematocrit obtained?
1. Describe the makeup of the 3 layers of a hematocrit (from top to bottom).
2. Which 2 layers make up the formed elements?
Middle: Leukocytes/WBCs and platelets
2. Middle and bottom layers
1. The hematocrit is generally considered equivalent to the volume of what formed element?
2. Why is that?
3. What is the only value reported for the hematocrit?
1. Considered equal to the volume of RBCs
2. The blood cell population is primarily RBCs
3. The RBC volume
What are the normal hematocrit values for males and females respectively?
Males: 47.0 plus/minus 5
Females: 42.0 plus/minus 5