Activity 5: Observing Various Cell Structures
How do the sperm, red blood cell, epithelium, and smooth muscle cell differ in shape?
1. Sperm cell: Circular "head" with an attached tail
2. RBC: Circuluar
3. Epithelium cell: Almost amoeba-like
4. Smooth muscle cell: "Fibrous"
How do the sperm, red blood cell, epithelium, and smooth muscle cell differ in size (from greatest to smallest)?
Epithelium cell, smooth muscle cell, sperm cell, RBC.
1. Which cells (sperm, RBC, epithelium, smooth muscle) have visible projections?
2. How do these projections relate to the function of these cells?
3. Do any of these cells lack a plasma membrane?
4. Do any of these cells lack a nucleus?
5. Were you able to observe any of the organelles in these cells?
1. Sperm, smooth muscle, epithelium cell.
2. The flagellum of the sperm cell aids it in swimming up the vagina to meet the egg in the fallopian tubes.
5. Yes. Saw a nucleus in the smooth muscle cell because of its bigger size.