Oxidation and Fermentation Test
Phenylalanine deamination results in the production of _______________?
What sugars are used to demonstrate carbohydrate fermentation?
- This test is performed to detect the presence of the enzyme catalase which degrades hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water.
- Organisms containing this enzyme will form oxygen bubbles when exposed to hydrogen peroxide
- Positive--> bacilluis
- Negative--> Streptococci
Organisms in Pos/Neg CATALASE test
- Building reactions
- Synthesis process
- Pathways that cause breakdown
- Degradation process
What is the purpose of Methyl Red Test?
- Important in differentiating some gram negative intestinal bacteria is that or mixed acid fermentation
What is the color indicator of Methyl Red Test?
What is being produced and detected in the Methyl Red test?
- Produced- (Gases) CO2, H2, and ethanol
- Detected- formic hydrogenlyase
- Positive--> E. Coli
- Negative--> Enerobacer clocae & aengenes
Organisms of pos/neg Methyl Red test
What test is most helpful in the final identification of an organism which produces non-acid end products?
What is the purpose of the Durham tube?
it is used to detect production of gas such hydrogen and CO2 (gases)
A lactose fermenter revealed a positive reaction for gas fermentation, what should one look for in the Durham tube?
Airs bubbles in the Durham tube
A dormant, tough, non-reproductive structure produced by a small number of bacteria
Why are endospores important from a medical standpoint?
The primary function of most endospores is to ensure the survival of a bacterium through periods of environmental stress.
The ______ is used to detect the nonacid product butanediol.
VP (Voges-Proskauer) Test
When urease is produced by an organism, the resulting ammonia causes the pH to become alkaline as the pH increases, the phenol red changes from yellow (pH 6.8) to a bright ______ color.