USC bridge 1.1 Matter and Properties of Elements
Chemistry and physiological reactions
- Body is made up of many chemicals
- chemistry underlies all physiological reactions, i.e.: movement, digestion, heart pumping, nervous system.
Chemistry can be broken down into:
Basic chemistry and biochemistry.
- Anything that has mass and occupies space.
States of matter
- Solid- definite shape and volume
- liquids- definite volume, changing shape
- gas- changeable shape and volume
The power to do work.
- Can effect mass/matter.
- Can be converted from one form to another, but this is not efficient and some energy is lost as heat.
Energy in motion
Stored form of energy. Energy will be put into motion later.
Stored in bonds of chemical atoms (substances). Energy contained in the bonds between elements and molecules
The movement of charged particles. Electron and other charged molecules
Directly involved in moving matter. Ie: muscle contraction
Radiant or electromagnetic energy
Exhibits wavelike properties i.e.: light, UV light, x-rays