Hurricane Katrina case study
When did the Hurricane Katrina occurred?
August 29th 2005
Where did it impacted?
Gulf Coast of USA
Primary Effects of Hurricane
- Thousands of homes and businesses destroyed
- 1,500 people were killed
- The river was overwhelmed by the extra water, causing it to collapse. Causing 80% of the city was flooded to depths of six metres.
Secondary Effects of Hurricane
- Cost about $300 million to repair
- Thousands of jobs lost and million dollars in lost tax incomes
- Agricultural production was damaged by tornadoes and flooding.
- Three million people were left without electricity for over a week.
- 1 million people were made homeless and about 1,200 people drowned in flood.
- $50 billion in aid was given by the government
- UK government sent food aid during the early stages of recovery process.