What is traffic congestion?
It is the build up of traffic resulting in traffic jams.
What causes traffic congestion?
- Daily movement of people – can lead to congestion
- Commuters – travel to work by car, rail, bus or train
- Move generally at same time each day
- Rush hour – 8-9 am and 5-6 pm Monday to Friday
Solutions for traffic congestion
Light rail system
- DART – light rail system
- Coastline of Dublin Bay – Howth to Greystones
- Many people commute by DART
Buses and QBCs
- Buses carry up to 80 people
- Bus lanes (QBCs) – get to city centre quicker
- Increase in number if QBCs
Use flexi time at work. This means that peolpe can start and finish early or late so they can avoid the rush hour traffic. This spreads the movement of people travelling over the day.