Lab exercise 11
- What are enzymes?
Proteins that facilitate chemical reactions in the cell
- What environmental factors affect an enzyme’s activity?
fluctuations in temperature and pH
- Predict the how boiling an enzyme would affect its activity.
chemical reactions are faster as temperature increases, so boiling pH values would denature ( unravel) enzymes to deactivate them
- Distinguish between starch and sugar.
- Describe the function of salivary amylase. What is its substrate and product?
It breaks down into the disaccharide maltose in our mouths.
Substate is Starch and Product is disaccharide maltose
- Which pH and temperature are ideal for salivary amylase activity?
- What reagent is used to detect starch? What color does it turn in the presence of starch?
color is Blue-Black
- What reagent detects sugar?
color is yellow to orange and red