3. The net equation for photosynthesis produces
(1.) water and carbon dioxide
(2.) water and oxygen
(3.) carbohydrate and carbon dioxide
(4.) carbohydrate and oxygen
4. As far as the light reaction of photosynthesis is concerned, what is the role of oxygen?
(1.) It is a necessary reactant.
(2.) It is a waste product.
(3.) It is a product that is then utilized in the dark reaction.
(4.) It is not involved as a product or a reactant.
6. The chief purpose of the dark reaction of photosynthesis is the production of
(4.) carbon dioxide
7. Quantitatively more photosynthesis occurs in
(1.) tropical rainforests
(2.) the temperate zones
(3.) fresh water
(4.) the oceans
9. Photorespiration refers to
(1.) mitochondrial respiration in photosynthetic organisms
(2.) nonmitochondrial respiration associated with photosynthesis
(3.) oxygen production during photosynthesis
(4.) mitochondrial respiration induced by light
13. The fixation of carbon dioxide into energy rich glucose occurs during
(2.) the Krebs citric acid cycle
(3.) noncyclic photophosphorylation
(4.) the Calvin cycle
(5.) the electron transport system production of ATP
14. It is currently believed that the specific enzymes necessary for the fixation of carbon dioxide
into energy rich glucose are located in the
(3.) mitochondrial cristae
(4.) chloroplast grana
(5.) chloroplast stroma
20. Which statement concerning chloroplasts is FALSE?
(1.) They make insufficient amounts of ATP to drive the photosynthetic process.
(2.) They have DNA separate from nucleic DNA.
(3.) They contain grana.
(4.) They have their own ribosomes.
(5.) They can function outside a cell.
24. The dark reactions of photosynthesis produce
(1.) hexose sugars
(2.) carbon dioxide
(4.) all of the previous substances
25. Photolysis of water refers to
(1.) diffusion of water in the chloroplast
(2.) the role of water as an electron acceptor
(3.) the breakdown of the water molecule in the light reactions
(4.) none of the above
26. A major three carbon compound in the C-3 cycle.
31. The five carbon compound which is a starting product in the C-3 cycle of photosynthesis.
32. This four carbon compound is the major starting product in the C-4 cycle of photosynthesis.
41 What does the process of photosynthesis produce?
(1.) starch, which is metabolized into less complex molecules by dehydration synthesis
(2.) protein, which is metabolized into less complex molecules by dehydration synthesis
(3.) glycerol, which is metabolized into more complex molecules by dehydration synthesis
(4.) glucose, which is metabolized into more complex molecules by dehydration synthesis
(5.) G3P, which is metabolized into more complex molecules by dehydration synthesis