Developmental Psychology (Bandura Et Al - 1961)
What is a Behaviorist?
A Behaviorist is someone that believes all behaviour is learned.
What kind of Learning does Bandura believe in? And outline what it is.
Bandura believed in Observational Learning, suggesting that if a behaviour of model is observed, then it would be copied. (Imitative Learning)
Outline the 4 aims of the study.
1. Subjects exposed to aggressive models will reproduce aggressive acts resembling those of the models greater than non-aggressive and control group
2. The observation of non-aggressive models will lead to subjects displaying less imitative aggression than control group
3. Subjects will imitate the behaviour of a same-sex model to a greater degree than a model of the opposite sex
4. Boys will be more likely as compared to girls towards imitating aggression.
What is the method of the study?
Laboratory Experiment with Controlled Observation
What were the IV?
1. Agressive, Non Agressive or Controlled Group
2. Sex of the Model
3.Sex of Subjects
What is the design?
Matched Pairs and Independant Groups
How many participants were there and what was the sampling technique?
There were 72 participants (36 boy and 36 girls). It was an opportunity sampling
What was done to ensure each group had equally aggressive children?
They were all rated (used a 5-point rating scale) for aggression before the experiment by the nursery teacher and experimenter, they were rated on:
1. Physical aggression
2. Verbal aggression
3. Aggression to inanimate objects
4. Aggression inhibition (self control)
What was Phase 1 of the procedure?
A child is brought into Room 1. He/She played with potato prints and stickers to 'settle in'. The child was taken to other side of room where the model behaved either in a non aggressive or in an aggressive way. After 10 minutes the child left the room.
What was the aggressive/non aggressive action done by the model in Phase 1 (Room 1)
Non-Aggressive Condition - The model ignored the doll and assembled the tinker-toys in a quiet, gentle manner.
Aggressive Condition - Began by playing with the tinker-toys
One minute later, turned to Bobo doll and acted aggressively to it.