Chemistry equipment

Helpfulness: 0
Set Details Share
created 8 years ago by DJLA
updated 8 years ago by DJLA
Grade levels:
10th grade
show moreless
Page to share:
Embed this setcancel
code changes based on your size selection


a piece of glassware in which the opening diameter is approximately the same as the base diameter.
i. It is used to hold liquids, and sometimes solids.
ii. Graduations on the sides are approximate.
iii. These should never be used for measuring volumes, unless you are specifically told you only need an approximate amount.


Erlenmeyer Flask

a piece of glassware with the opening diameter significantly smaller than the base diameter. The diameter gradually narrows from the base up to near the top.
1. It is used for holding liquids.
2. It is resistant to splashing when mixing liquids.
3. Graduations on the sides are approximate.


Florence Flask

a piece of glassware with the opening diameter significantly smaller than the base diameter. The bottom of the flask is generally rounded, with a long, narrow neck.
1. It is used for holding and mixing liquids.
2. The bottom is sometimes flat, and sometimes completely rounded (and will not stand up on its own)
3. Often used in organic chemistry experiments.
4. Not usually graduated.


Volumetric Flask

a piece of glassware with the opening diameter significantly smaller than the base diameter. The bottom is usually rounded, and there is a line drawn on the next approximately halfway up.
1. It measures an exact amount of a liquid, to two decimal places. (for example, 500.00 mL)
2. It is used for mixing specific concentrations of solutions.
3. To use:
a. Fill approximately half full with the solvent.
b. Add the solid (solute) to the solvent.
c. Mix to dissolve most of the solid.
d. Add solvent until the meniscus is sitting on the line in the next portion of the flask.


Triple-Beam Balance

– a mechanical balance used to determine the mass of an object, by moving sliders on three bars until the mass on the pan is balanced by the positions of the sliders.
1. When not in use, and the sliders are at the right side of their tracks, the pointer should be exactly on zero.
2. If it needs adjusted, turn the knob under the pan slowly until it reads 0.
3. All readings made by this balance must be reported to 2 decimal places.


Electronic Balance

a balance used to determine the mass of an object. If it is at zero when turned on, the mass can be determined simply by placing the object on the pan and reading it.
1. Make sure the pointer on the screen is indicating grams, or it is measuring in the wrong units.
2. If it does not read zero after turning it on, wait for the reading to stabilize, then press the “Tare” button to zero it.
3. All readings made by this balance must be reported to 2 decimal places.


Analytical Balance

– a balance used to determine the mass of an object to a high degree of precision.
1. Readings made by this balance must be reported to 4 decimal places.
2. Because of its high degree of precision, the pan is enclosed in a chamber to eliminate the effect of air currents in the room on the reading.


Graduated Cylinder

– a piece of glassware that is used to determine the volume of a liquid.
i. -________________is the only piece of glassware which can be used to accurately determine the volume of a liquid.
ii. Choose a_________________ which is appropriate for the amount of liquid you are measuring.
iii. Always read the volume from the bottom of the meniscus.
1. Meniscus – a curved, “contact-lens”-like shape which forms at the surface of a liquid in a container.
2. It forms because of the attraction or repulsion between the liquid and the molecules which make up the sides of the container.
iv. The measurements from a ________________ should be reported to the correct number of decimal places, with the last digit being an estimate.
v. The plastic ring which is around the neck of the __________ is a safety device to keep it from breaking if it tips over. Leave this in the upper 1/3 of the _______________.



A glass tube, similar to a graduated cylinder in that it is graduated and designed to measure the volume of liquids. However, it requires something to hold it upright, such as a burette clamp, and also has a spigot on the bottom of it.


Ruler/Meter Stick

a piece of equipment used to determine the length of an object.
i. Make sure when using these pieces of equipment that you have an accurate “zero” starting point.
ii. If you do not, use another point as your “zero”, and subtract your initial starting point from your final reading.
iii. Most meter sticks and rulers read to 0.01 cm. This includes 1 digit that is an estimate.


Vacuum Filtration Apparatus

Filtering Flask – also known as a sidearm flask, which is used for collecting the filtrate during a filtration.
ii. Aspirator – a tube which attaches to the faucet of the sink, and creates a vacuum in the attachment when water is running through it.
iii. Filtervac – a black rubber disk used to create a seal between the filtering flask and the funnel.
iv. Buckner Funnel – a funnel with a flat bottom where filter paper is placed, and holes to allow the filtrate to pass through


Ring Stand

a heavy metal base with a pole sticking up, used to attach objects to during experiments. The weight attached to the pole MUST be over the base to avoid instability.


Metal Ring

a ring with a clamp to attach it to the ring stand, used to support objects during an experiment.


Pipestem Triangle (clay triangle)

a triangle of wire, with the center pieces surrounded by tubes. This is used to support a crucible during an experiment.



a small porcelain cup and lid used to heat small amounts of material directly over a flame.


Wire Gauze

a piece of wire with a center circle of a heat-resistant material, used for diffusing heat from a flame or setting hot objects on.


Evaporating Dish

– a small porcelain bowl used for heating materials in to drive off the liquid portion.



a round, concave piece of glass, used to mix small amounts of materials.


Bunsen burner

a flame-generating device, with self-contained controls for the amount of gas and air proceeding to the reaction.


Beaker tongs

these are tongs used for holding or carrying a beaker, and are coated with rubber to keep from scratching the glassware. They must NEVER be used to hold things in a flame.


Crucible tongs

these are metal tongs used to hold a crucible. They may be used to hold other hot objects, and can be used to transfer things into or out of a flame, as they have no coating.


Wash bottle

this is a bottle which contains distilled water, and is used to transfer this water into a reaction or to clean things.



there are several kinds of these, but all are small tubes used for measuring out or transferring liquids. Some have graduations, and some have self contained bulbs.


Ring Stand Thermometer Clamp

a double clamp which is designed to attach to a ring stand with one clamp, and hold a thermometer between the small gold fingers on the other end.


Burette Clamp

a double sided clamp which is designed to hold burettes. There are several varieties in use in our lab, but all are of a similar


Ring stand test tube clamp

a clamp used to attach to a ring stand and hold a test tube.



a device used to create sparks which are used to light a Bunsen burner.