WHAT IS MICROCYTIC ANEMIA ?
- In this anemia the RBC size is low ( small)
- MCV is less than 80
- it's due to decrease in hemoglobin level
- 4 anemia come under microcytic anemia
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Sideroblastic anemia
- Anemia due to chronic disease
Which the No 1 anemia In INDIA ?
IRON deficiency anemia
what are the causes of iron deficiency anemia ?
Infant - breast feeding ( low iron)
Children - Malnutrition , hookworm infection ( ancyclostoma , nectar)
Adult - peptic ulcer in male , menorrhagia & pregnancy in female
Elderly - carcinoma
Any Malabsorption like steatorrhae , gastrectomy
What are the clinical features you can identify in iron deficiency anemia ?
- Weakness , fatigue, dyspnea , pallor ( general anemia)
- Koilonychia ( spoon like nails )
- Pica ( chewing something )
- Fissure or ulcer in angle s of mouth
what are Laboratory test to run in ironbdefficiency suspected patients ?
- Peripheral smear of blood ( microcytic hypochromic RBC )
- Smear of bone marrow using prussian blue stain we can see ferritin iron complex
- serum iron
- TIBC ( transferrin level)
- % saturation
- Serum ferritin
How will be the lab report in Fe dificient pateint
- RBC level less than 4 million
- Blood smear show microcytic hypochromic RBC
- bone marrow smear show absence of ferritin -iron complex
- ⬇️ Serum iron ⬇️ serum ferritin ⬇️%saturation
- ⬆️TIBC & ⬆️free erythrocytes protoporphyrin
How will you treat a iron deficiency pateint ?
- with ferrous sulphate tablets ( start from 300mg/ day if tolerated then Inc the dose to 900 mg / day for 2-3 months )
- Aditionaly I'll ask the patient to take meat