Who was a colonial-era minister known for religious tolerance?
- William Bradford
- John Winthrop
- Roger Williams
- Martin Luther
The Massachusetts Bay Colony was established in New England by
- the Catholics.
- the Separatists.
- the Puritans.
- the Pilgrims.
Which of the following groups were allies against the Pequot Indians during the Pequot War?
- the Wampanoag Indians and Spanish colonists
- the Wampanoag Indians and English colonists
- the Narragansett Indians and English colonists
- the Narragansett Indians and French colonists
the Narragansett Indians and English colonists
What did the Puritans form to establish their own New World colony?
- the Mayflower Compact
- the Virginia Company
- the Jamestown settlement
- the Massachusetts Bay Company
the Massachusetts Bay Company
Which of the following groups founded Harvard University?
- the Pilgrims
- the Separatists
- the Puritans
- the Anglicans
Which best summarizes an interaction that occurred in the early colonial era in New England?
- The English colonists moved onto American Indian land and expected the American Indians to obey colonial law.
- American Indians resented the successful farming methods of the English colonists and raided their stores of food.
- American Indian groups frequently had conflicts with the English colonists and refused to offer them help.
- The English government recognized the sovereignty of the American Indians, angering the colonists in New England.
The English colonists moved onto American Indian land and expected the American Indians to obey colonial law.
The first Thanksgiving was held in 1621 and celebrated
- the end of the Pequot War.
- the establishment of the first English colony.
- the return of Squanto from Europe.
- the ties between colonists and American Indians.
the ties between colonists and American Indians.
What was the name of the first English settlement in New England?
Which of the following was the site of the most serious conflict of the Pequot War?
- a Wampanoag grain storage bin
- a Pequot fort at Mystic
- a Pequot settlement in Boston
- an English fort at Plymouth
a Pequot fort at Mystic
What made it difficult for New England colonists to repay the English investors who had funded them?
- There were few colonial cities from which to export goods.
- It was difficult to manufacture enough products to send to England.
- Other colonies could not compete financially with Plymouth.
- Colonists had to struggle to grow enough food to meet their needs.
Colonists had to struggle to grow enough food to meet their needs.