1.3 Organization of the Brain
what are the main functions of the Hindbrain?
- controls balance
- motor coordination
- general arousal processes such as sleeping and waking
- "vital functioning"
what are the main functions of the Midbrain?
- receives sensory and motor info from the rest of the body
- involuntary reflexes to visual and auditory stimuli
what are the main functions of the Forebrain?
- complex perceptual, cognitive, and behavioral processes
- emotion and memory
What are some of the methods used for mapping the brain?
- human Pt w/ brain lesion
- extirpation/ablation in lab animals
- stimulating and recording brain activities and creating cortical maps
- detecting/recording electrical activities using the electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF)
What structures surround and protect the brain?
Skin>periosteum>bone>meninges (dura>arachnoid>pia mater)