end of life care, grief, loss
palliative care focuses on what?
reducing severity of symptoms for patients with life-limiting illness
what does palliative Care do for patients?
pain management, reducing symptoms, supporting families, etc
what does hospice care do?
- provide support and comfort during last stages of a terminal illness.
- once a patient is no longer receiving curative treatments
how many physicians do you need in order for a patient to go on hospice care? can they withdraw at anytime
you need 2 physician certify that the patient has less than 6 months to live. patients can withdraw at anytime
what is the last sense to disappear? what are some physical manifestations of end of life
- decreased vision, taste, smell
respiratory decline during end of life
cheyne-stokes respirations, congested breathing
cardiac decline during end of life
decreased BP, HR, weak irregular pulse.
GI decline during end of life
slowing or cessation of GI tract due to opioids, difficulty swallowing and speaking
skin changed during end of life
mottling, cold clammy skin, cyanosis. decreased pain and touch perception
physiological manifestation during end of lief
- anxiety, fear, helplessness
- life review, peacefulness
- decreased socialization and withdrawal
- vision-like experiences
documents about care and treatment and who can make decisions for them
documents with specific intervention to be used or withheld
- physician's order not to do CPR
- need to indicate specific interventions to be used
durable power of attorney for health are
document listing person who can make decision for patient if patient is unable to
what are some nursing management during end of life
- pain management
- reorient patient if needed
- encourage patient to verbalize feelings
what are some things a nurse can do for a patient while nearing the end of life
- suction as needed
- oxygen therapy
- position for comfort and optimal breathing
what do you need to do if a body is to be taken down for an autopsy?
- do not remove anything from the body.
- contact supervisor
- allow family time with patient