meds and labs oncology
normal WBC. could be high in what condition? low in what condition
- 4,00-10,000 (4-10K/ml)
- bone marrow suppression from chemo, leukemia, lymphoma
what medication can be given when WBC is low?
- filgrastim (Neupogen).
- given subcut injections
- given once/week or less depending on need
low blood values could be due to
bone marrow suppression from chemo, leukemia, lymphoma, GI bleed from colon cancer
what are the manifestations and treatment of low blood values?
- fatigue, dizziness
- oxygen therapy, epoetin alfa given subcut. may be blood transfusion depending on how low
platelet normal values? low due to?
- bone marrow suppression from chemotherapy, leukemia, lymphoma
manifestations and treatment of low platelets
- risk for bleeding
- no rectal, no IM, fall precaution. may need transfusion
carciembryonic antigen (CEA), kRAS are tumor markers for what cancer?
- colon cancer
- CEA can be elevated with other GI tract cancers
alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) are tumor markers for what cancer
liver and testicular
CA-125 is tumor marker for. CA-19-9 is tumor marker for____
- pancreatic, gallbladder
CA 15-3, CA 27-29, HER-2
lactate dehydrogenase (LDH)
leukemia, lymphoma, testicular
what is the definitive diagnostic test for cancer?
BRCA 1 or 2 gene mutation
significantly increases the risk of breast and ovarian cancer
hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC) gene mutation
significantly increases the risk of colorectal, endometrial, ovarian, stomach, and other cancers
filgrastim is given to stimulate what? what is it given for and how is it given? how many times?
- stimulate WBC production
- for neutropenia
- subcut injection
- given once/week or less often depending on need
epeotin alpha is given to stimulate the production of what? how is it given? how many times a week
- RBC production
- given subcut for anemia
- once/wk or less depending on need
Gardasil is an HPV vaccine given for the prevention of what cancer? what is the age range
- cervical cancer
gabapentin is given for what?
neuropathic lymphedema pain
BCG infusion is given for what cancer? where is it infused?
- for bladder cancer
- infused directly into bladder