Chapter 46 - Collaboration
Which of the following statements by a nursing student demonstrates an understanding of collaboration?
- “Collaboration is a new way of interacting with physicians.”
- “Collaboration means that the care team can make all of the decisions for the patient.”
- “Collaboration with patients has been used by nurses throughout the history of nursing.”
- “Collaboration is an outdated concept that has been replaced by managed care.”
C. “Collaboration with patients has been used by nurses throughout the history of nursing.”
A nurse working in a free clinic has recognized that health promotion for teenagers who are pregnant is needed. The nurse works to develop a team of health care experts in several disciplines from across the region to work toward improving the nutrition of pregnant teenagers. This is an example of what type of collaboration?
- Nurse–patient collaboration
- Nurse–nurse collaboration
- Intraprofessional collaboration
- Interorganizational collaboration
D. Interorganizational collaboration
Which of the following behaviors by a nurse indicates the effective use of collaboration with other professionals?
- Strongly defends own professional role
- Avoids conflict
- Negotiates with others
- Aggressively presents a personal view of a situation
C. Negotiates with others
A nurse is explaining why collaboration is valued to a new nurse during her orientation to the unit. Which of the following outcomes is a key patient care outcome that occurs when collaboration is correctly used?
- Governmental accrediting agencies give more favorable reviews to the agency.
- There are fewer errors that occur in patient care.
- Agencies can offer higher salaries due to the cross-training of staff.
- Ongoing education is not needed, because other specialties contribute to care decisions.
B. There are fewer errors that occur in patient care.
A nurse mentor is explaining the benefits of collaborative practice to a nurse new to a facility. Which of the following research-based benefits is the nurse likely to identify as positive outcomes of collaboration? Select all that apply.
- Decreased length of stay for patients
- Decreased staff resignations
- Decreased use of pain medications
- Increased reimbursement from insurance carriers
- Increased patient follow-up appointments after discharge
- Increased job satisfaction of the staff
A. Decreased length of stay for patients
B. Decreased staff resignations
F. Increased job satisfaction of the staff