HESI A2 McGraw-Hill's Evolve Biology
Which organelle provides storage space for the cell?
- Cell membrane
Which is a byproduct of fermentation in muscle cells?
- Pyruvic acid
- Lactic acid
In which process of mitosis do new nuclear membranes form around sets of chromosomes?
Which names a final step in protein synthesis?
- DNA unzips
- Amino acids bond
- Transfer RNA transfers to messenger RNA
- Messenger RNA moves to ribosomes
Polydactylism, the presentation of extra digits on hands or feet, is carried on the dominate allele. In the case of two parents with polydactylism, what percentage of their offspring is predicted to manifest the abnormality?
Foods with high salt content do not have to be refrigerated. What natural process prevents these foods from spoiling?
- Active transport
- Passive transport
What is necessary for active transport through a membrane to take place?
Which is true of enzymes?
- They are made from lipids
- They are made from proteins
- They form double chains of DNA
- They bind with catalyst
Which is an example of gymnosperm?
- Red cedar
- Japanese cherry
- Flowering dogwood
- American chestnut
____ is a symbiotic relationship in which one organism benefits and the other is not effected.
Dogs are part of a larger animal group, the Carnivora. What classification is this?
What are saturated fats saturated with?
- Hydrogen atoms
- Carbon atoms
- Oxygen atoms
- Nitrogen atoms
Which is found in animal cells but not in plant cells?
- Golgi apparatus
Ocean waves may tear sponges into pieces, each of which may grow into new pieces. What is the form of this reproduction called?
- Vegetative propagation
- Binary fission
How many pairs of homologous chromosomes do humans have?
What happens to the messenger RNA as it reaches the cytoplasm?
- It attaches to a ribosomes
- It unzips, exposing nitrogen bases
- It pairs with DNA bases
- It pulls free of the DNA strand
Hemophilia is a sex-linked trait carried on X chromosome. In an example of a male with hemophilia and a female carrier, what percentage of the offspring is expected to be carriers only?
Which is not one of the raw materials needed for cellular respiration?
Patient A, who weighs 68 kilograms, steps on a scale 20 times. The scale consistently weighs the patient A at 75 kilograms. What is the true of the measurement?
- It is valid, but not reliable
- It is reliable, but not valid
- It is both valid and reliable
- It is neither valid nor reliable
Which one would you have the least energy efficiency in nutrient consumption?
How should a researcher test the hypothesis that practicing yoga lowers the blood pressure?
- Record the BP of one male and one female participant before & after participating in a yoga class.
- Divide 30 female participants into two groups with similar average BP; testing each participants BP after their exercise class.
- Divide 30 female participants into two groups with similar average BP, have one group watch TV for an hour while the other takes a yoga class, record each participants BP after the hour. Repeat daily for two weeks.
- Start with 15 men and 15 women; have the men watch tv for an hour while the women take the yoga class, record each participants BP after the hour. Reverse, have the men take the yoga class while the women watch tv and record bp
How do green plants use nitrates in the nitrogen cycle?
- To synthesize proteins
- To store food
- To decompose amonia
- To break down nitrates
Which color of the light is least effective at driving photosynthesis?
Which might be described as a core of nucleic acid surrounded by a protein coat?
- Blue-green algae
In contrast with triglycerides, phospholipids are lacking which of the following components?
- Fatty acid